Smoothies are quick and easy to make year round. When fresh strawberries are in season lets make our smoothies with strawberries. When the blueberries are in season, switch to blueberries. Frozen organic fruits are great choices, too! Get the idea? Reinventing a recipe keeps it fresh and enjoyable.
Lets have some fun and get creative. You can also swap sweeteners, flavored extracts, and super food powders.
- Maqui, acai, maca, pomergranate, goji berry are my favorites in the smoothies.
- For example, you can make the Blueberry Super Smoothie with a tablespoon of acai powder and a tablespoon of maqui powder per serving.
- Next time, try 1 tablespoon of pomergranate powder and 1 tablespoon of goji berry powder or maca; or 2 tablespoons of maqui powder. Trust me on the maca, you might not want to use 2 Tablespoons of maca per serving. Remember maca is great for the libido.
- For variation, change the kind juice or use milk instead of juice. Adapt the recipe with a different yogurt: goat, sheep, cow, or soy for a vegan variation.
- Sweeteners can change. And extracts, too, but here is where you may need a little guidance. If you decide to use almond extract, or orange extract, instead of vanilla extract; their flavor is more intense. For 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, I have found that a ¼- teaspoon of almond or orange extract is plenty. Start with a little, blend it; taste; then you can add more, if you like.
Please click on this link to use the recipe for Super Blueberry Smoothie as a springboard for your improvisations.
Have a Great Organic Feast
Photo by Tracey Eller