“Always have fun. Fun is delicious. Love what you cook whether you’re cooking with Cannabis or your local organic harvest. Try little bites if you’re doing edibles and cook from your heart. ” Leslie Cerier
Lana Camiel: Earlier this summer I took a cooking workshop, and at some point our chef mentioned that she has contributed her recipes to a book on cooking with Cannabis. With the recent legalization of this plant, I was curious to learn more.
(And in spirit of full disclosure you’ll recognize I have little personal experience with the topic. But I decided to be brave here with the hope that this information will be useful to you.) So if you have this same curiosity, this episode is for you.
My today’s guest is Leslie Cerier. I have chatted with Leslie previously on this podcast about her love for vegetarian cooking and spices.
Leslie is an international gourmet personal chef, educator, cookbook author and recipe developer. She specializes in vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free whole foods and organic cuisine.
Leslie is a pioneer and national authority on gluten-free cooking and baking, the entire spectrum of whole grains, and cooking with wild foods. She teaches private and group classes.
lives in New England and runs a business that encompasses custom
culinary work, food as medicine, and her own organic B&B in Western
MA for private clients.
By the end of this episode, you’ll understand the basics of cooking with Cannabis and will know where to look for additional resources on this topic.
“Once I understand a recipe thinking – this is an interesting combination. I’ve got the basics, but I don’t have pistacchio nuts, I’ll use almonds. I’ll take liberties with mixing & matching & swapping.” Leslie Cerier Click to Tweet
- Why Leslie and I are about cooking with Cannabis
- What Leslie has learned from growing Cannabis plants
parts of Cannabis plant are used in cooking and medicine making, what
are some of the benefits of cooking with the plant as opposed to smoking
- Some ways in creating edibles, main categories of recipes that employ Cannabis and when & how to use the heat to extract the constituents
- What are the differences
between topical application and use of oils in edibles, and what are
some of the ways of gauging the doses
- What are some of Leslie’s favorite cooking rules while working with Cannabis
- Leslie’s website The Organic Gourmet, her Facebook page and her Instagram feed and Twitter account to follow
- Leslie’s episodes “Vegetarian cooking from the heart” and “Cooking with herbs and spices“
- Chris Kilham and Zoe Helene
- Robyn Griggs Lawrence
- FDA approves marijuana derived medication in 2018
- Dr. Debra Kimless – use of Cannabis at the end stages of life – ForwardGo
- The power of tastes and flavors as medicine with Brittany Wood Nickerson
“When I make Cannabis edibles, I never think ‘oh, I should…’ Make sure you are in a joyful, happy place.” Leslie Cerier Click to Tweet
Thank you for listening!
To explore other episodes:
About the Author Lana Camiel
I’m a college professor, drug information pharmacist and herbalist. I teach young professionals and students how to be less stressed and more focused with the right herbs, food and self-care techniques.