Here’s a delicious pesto made with cilantro instead of the traditional basil. It’s great on any type of noodles, but especially delightful on Asian noodles, such as 100% buckwheat soba or bifun, quick-cooking clear angel hair noodles made from rice flour and potato starch. You may be surprised to learn that it’s also a fabulous dip and pizza topping. Spread it on top of a pre-baked gluten-free pizza crust and top with sliced bell peppers, olives, and marinated dried tomatoes.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, presoaked if you like
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, presoaked if you like
- 2 1/2 cups tightly packed cilantro leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons umeboshi vinegar
- Put the almonds in a food processor and grind to a coarse meal.
- Add the sunflower seeds and continue grinding until they too have a texture like coarse meal. Add the cilantro, garlic, water, and umeboshi vinegar and blend until almost smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.