I love this stew as a side dish, pizza or pasta topping. Try it garnished with crumbled feta or grated Parmesan.
Vegan, wheat-free, corn-free
- 1 medium-large eggplant, 6 cups, sliced into bite sized chunks
- juice of 1 lemon, 1/3 cup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 dried morel mushrooms
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into smaller pieces with a scissors
- 1 large onion, sliced, 1 1/2 cups
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
- 1 large carrot, 1 cup sliced
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 sprig rosemary, 1 teaspoon fresh leaves or 1/3 teaspoon dry
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the eggplant and putit into a bowl with 1 teaspoon sea salt and the lemon juice. Let itmarinate at least 30 minutes while you slice the other vegetables.
- Drain and discard the excess liquid from the eggplant. Putthe eggplant and all the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl,including the other teaspoon of sea salt. Mix well and transfer to a baking dish or crock. Make sure that the dried mushrooms and tomatoes are covered by the other vegetables. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Taste the vegetables to see if they are as tender as you like them, and adjust the seasonings if desired.