This Mediterranean-inspired salad is light and refreshing, yet satisfying enough to serve as the centerpiece of the meal. For a nice summertime lunch or dinner, serve it atop of a bed of garden greens, with Amaranth and Corn Flat bread on the side. Recipes from Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook
Serves about 6
- 12 ounces brown rice spirals or penne
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup cut green beans, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup minced fresh dill
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed, if packed in salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Cook the pasta in a generous amount of boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir until evenly combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired. Serve at room temperature.
- Mediterranean Two-Bean Salad: Substitute other beans, such as navy beans, for the pasta.
Also this recipe was included in the Dr Mark Hyman’s July 17, 2011 enewsletter discussing gluten, and offering lots of great nutrition information and advice: