Easy to make, and delicious, this gluten free galette makes a tasty pastry perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert. Bake it when it is chilly outside to warm up the house with the sweet and comforting aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Bake Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 6 servings
- ½ cup Teff ivory or brown teff flour
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces or 1 stick grass raised organic butter + 1 teaspoon – tablespoon for greasing pan or you may use a piece of parchment paper
- 5 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1¾ cups thinly sliced organic apples (2 peeled or unpeeled apples)
- 6 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon organic nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon organic ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the dough in a food processor. Combine the dry ingredients: flours, salt, & baking powder in the work bowl with the blade in. Pulse one or two times to combine ingredients.
- Slice the butter into 1 tablespoon pieces and add to the work bowl of the food processor. Process pulsing a couple of times for one-second each until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. No large pieces of butter are visible. Then add the maple syrup to the flour and butter mixture and pulse a few times for about a second each until the dough starts to hold together.
- Using your hands, take the dough out of the food processor and make a ball to make sure it holds together. You may need to add 1 more tablespoon maple syrup for the dough to hold together.
- Roll the dough out on a pastry board to about 12 inches diameter – no need to add flour to the board.
- Transfer the dough to a cookie sheet or sheet pan. (Either slide it in or wrap it around your rolling pin and transfer to the baking pie pan. Don’t worry if it is not perfect).
- In a small mixing bowl, toss together apples, maple syrup and spices.
- Pile apples on the dough circle, leaving a 1 & ½-inch border. Gently fold the pastry over the fruit, pleating to hold it in.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe Copyright © 2021 Leslie Cerier. All Rights Reserved to Leslie Cerier.
Leslie Cerier, The Organic Gourmet developed this recipe for the Teff Company
Photos by Tracey Eller Photography