This is the best Honey Cake I know of, and it happens to be gluten free and dairy free- perfect for celebrating the Jewish New Year. Also fabulous for breakfast or with afternoon tea. Delicious on its own, or topped with sliced apples and honey.
Serves 6 to 8
4 organic eggs
2/3 cup honey
1 cup water
1/4 cup melted organic extra virgin coconut oil +1 tablespoon for greasing the cake pan
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
2 cups Maskal Teff® brown or ivory flour
2½ teaspoons organic cinnamon
1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
¼ teaspoon organic ground allspice
¼ teaspoon organic ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon organic ground cloves
¼ teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan or a standard loaf pan.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in the honey.
- Add water, ¼ cup melted coconut oil and vanilla. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the teff flour, spices, baking powder, and sea salt until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and eating – if you can wait that long!
Honey and Spice Cake Recipe Copyright © 2019 Leslie Cerier. All Rights Reserved to Leslie Cerier. Leslie Cerier developed this recipe for the Teff Company
Photos by Tracey Eller